CAR policeman who shot reporter must be punished, RSF says News Receive email alerts Organisation RSF_en Six years on, same unanswered questions about French journalist’s death in CAR News Help by sharing this information Publisher of the daily L’Hirondelle Jude Zossé, has been sentenced to six months in prison and fined 200,000 FCFA (305 euros) for “insulting the head of state”.Reporters Without Borders urged the courts to lift the sentence imposed on 12 March and reminded the Central African Republic authorities of their commitments to press freedom.”We had appealed to the prosecutor in Bangui, Firmin Feindiro, not to pass a jail sentence on Zossé. It appears that our appeal was in vain, despite the fact that the journalist was not even the author of the article, which he simply reprinted it from an opposition website,” the international press freedom organisation said. “His sentences is excessive and constitutes a serious attack on press freedom,” the organisation added.”The authorities are playing a double game in this case. On one hand they said they want to work to promote press freedom while on the other hand they lie, as did Feindiro and put journalists in jail. “This is no longer acceptable and we call on President Bozizé to do everything possible to see that journalists can work normally and freely.”The journalist was accused in connection with an article carried in the 23 February edition of the newspaper headlined “General Bozizé, Big State cashier and tax collector”, taken from the website of a bi-weekly opposition newspaper, Centrafrique-Presse. The offending article accused the president of embezzling a large sum from state funds for his personal use, provoking the resignation of several officials at the finance ministry.Following Zossé’s arrest on 23 February 2004, the Bangui prosecutor assured Reporters Without Borders that he would be granted bail before the verdict on 12 March. This was then refused.In 2003, the government contacted Reporters Without Borders to discuss its intention to no longer penalise press offences. Since then, despite reminders from the organisation, the discussion has never been resumed. Follow the news on Central African Republic Central African RepublicAfrica March 12, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Publisher of L’Hirondelle imprisoned for six months Publisher of the daily L’Hirondelle Jude Zossé, has been sentenced to six months in prison and fined 200,000 FCFA for “insulting the head of state”. Reporters Without Borders urged the courts to lift the sentence and reminded the Central African Republic authorities of their commitments to press freedom Central African RepublicAfrica to go further May 13, 2020 Find out more December 13, 2019 Find out more News RSF decries arbitrary blocking of two CAR news websites News April 6, 2021 Find out more
Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Linkedin Advertisement Print Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Twitter WhatsApp TAGSBerkeleyfeaturedlimerickMary Immaculate CollegeUniversity of Limerick NewsLimerick colleges show solidarity with Berkeley studentsBy John Keogh – June 18, 2015 488 Previous articleIrish Water expected to use Shannon to solve Dublin water crisisNext articlePeace at last for Limerick-based hero John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Facebook by Kathy [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up FLAGS were flown at half mast in the University of Limerick this week to pay tribute to the six students who died in Berkeley, California when an apartment balcony collapsed on Tuesday.It is understood that none of the students involved were from Limerick, however UL issued a statement saying: “All of the students involved in the tragic accident in Berkeley, California and their family and friends, are in the hearts and minds of the University of Limerick community at this time of loss.”The Mary Immaculate College Students Union also extended sympathies to the families and friends of the six students and said: “Our thoughts and prayers are with their friends and families and with those who have been injured.“For any of our students who have been affected by this tragedy, we would like to remind you that MISU can be reached by phone +353 (0)61 400013, email ([email protected] or [email protected]) or through Facebook.”The deceased were named as: Eimear Walsh (21), Niccolai Schuster (21), Lorcán Miller (21), Olivia Burke (21), Eoghan Culligan (21) and Ashley Donohoe (22); Ms Donoghue was a native of California, the other five all hailed from South Dublin.The names of the remaining seven injured students have not been released. Email Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享David Giambusso for Politico:The Cayuga power plant near Ithaca, one of the few remaining coal plants in the state, will not get the approval or the $102 million needed to refuel and keep it viable, the state Public Service Commission ruled Tuesday. Instead, the state approved a proposal from New York State Electric & Gas and National Grid to upgrade transmission lines in the area, which the utilities have long argued was a better and more economic option to maintain reliability for the region.Until recently, the Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s administration was unconvinced. In a curious political posture for a governor whose rhetoric on energy is focused on renewable, clean power, his quest to keep the Dunkirk coal plant in Western New York open and his ambivalence on Cayuga brought him into direct conflict with the environmental lobby that has exercised unrelenting pressure on him.The PSC ruled on three orders as part of its decision: one was to not fund Cayuga’s repowering, another was to approve the transmission upgrades, and the third was to approve the plant’s sale to Riesling Power, a Maryland-based energy company. Cuomo’s position was complicated by the need to balance jobs and property tax revenue the plants brought to a struggling region against his promises to clean up New York’s energy supply. Riesling is now negotiating a deal to purchase both the Cayuga plant near Ithaca and a large coal plant in Somerset. Riesling has promised to keep staffing at current levels, though with Tuesday’s decision, it is unclear how long that can be continued, especially since Cuomo has promised to phase out coal in New York by 2020.Cayuga is enjoying a ratepayer funded lifeline through June 30, 2017.For the time being, the state’s decision has saved utility customers roughly $80 million. The new transmission upgrades will cost $23.3 million; refueling would have run nearly five times that amount, or about $102 million, according to figures provided by the state.“We are very cognizant of the potential local economic effects of retiring power plants,” PSC chairwoman Audrey Zibelman said in a statement after Tuesday’s vote. “However, in this instance, the power plant itself does not solve our reliability concerns. Moreover, when we considered the combined lack of benefit to the power grid with the significantly higher costs of the refueling option, we determined it would simply be unfair to ask NYSEG consumers to shoulder both the transmission and refueling expense.”Full article ($): PSC ruling on Cayuga coal plant a big win for environmental lobby New York PSC Blocks Plan to Refuel Coal-Fired Cayuga Plant
–Margareth S. Aritonang contributed to this story.Topics : Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan said he had formally proposed imposing a territorial quarantine on the capital, prohibiting all activities in the city except for those related to energy, food, health, communications and finance. However, he abided by the central government’s decision not to do so. “For two weeks, Jakarta has closed schools, workplaces and places of worship and other public centers, but we have limited authority to enforce this. That is why we hoped there would be legal restrictions,” he said.The President has resisted the idea of imposing a national lockdown, saying it would be unsuitable for Indonesian society and has instead called on the public to practice social distancing as a preventive measure to contain the outbreak.A draft government regulation on health quarantine, a copy of which was obtained by The Jakarta Post, however, does not stipulate sanctions for those failing to abide by the social-restrictions order.National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) head Doni Monardo said the government would base its regulations on the battle against COVID-19 on three laws: Law No. 24/2007 on Disaster Response, the Health Quarantine Law and Government Regulation in Lieu of Law No.23/1959 on civil emergency (Perppu 23/1959). “The government will certainly not follow [policies that have] been ineffective in other countries. In handling disasters, [a policy] should not create a new problem, or a new disaster,” he said at a press conference, while referring to the possibility of imposing a lockdown. Doni gave an assurance that while preparing regulations, the government would guarantee the supply of staple commodities in all areas in the country, including medical supplies such as face masks, hand sanitizer and disinfectant.Jakarta Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Yusri Yunus said the police had yet to restrict toll road access despite a drill that was exercised on Sunday. “Jakarta has yet to be quarantined. That is a decision for the central government,” he said.But Yusri said police personnel in the capital were ready if and when the government decided to do so.Constitutional law expert from Jakarta-based Jentera School of Law Bivitri Susanti said the use of the civil emergency status was misguided in the context of handling the COVID-19 outbreak since the situation, as stipulated in Perppu No.23/1959, implied a heavy-handed security approach.“The regulation was issued in 1959 when Indonesia was dealing with armed rebellions. Its approach is very much security-based,” Bivitri told the Post over the phone. “Whereas we are dealing with a virus, not an insurgency.”There are four quarantine measures stipulated in the Health Quarantine Law, namely home quarantine, hospital quarantine, territorial quarantine and large-scale social distancing.The 2018 law defines a territorial quarantine as restrictions on entry into a specific territory deemed to be a hotspot of disease transmission or contamination area, while large-scale social distancing measures relate to the restriction on activities within specified areas to prevent the transmission of disease or contamination.Bivitri said combining the large-scale social distancing, which implies some form of restriction on social activities, with a territorial quarantine, which implies restrictions at points of entry into a specific area, was the best possible way for the country to contain the transmission of the viral disease under existing legal mechanisms.The government could allow for territorial quarantines on a smaller scale, Bivitri said, given that imposing a nationwide territorial quarantine, according to the 2018 law, entailed that the central government would provide all the basic necessities for its citizens during the period.“For me, the failure of the central government, up to this point, to provide instructions [to the regional administrations] has confused the regional administrations. Don’t blame the regional administrations [for enacting various policies] because there has not yet been any directive from [the central government],” said Bivitri. (trn) The President also instructed his aides to craft a clear regulation to act as guidance for regional administrations to implement the large-scale social distancing, although he added that the final decision on quarantine measures rested with the central government.“The policy [to announce] health quarantine, including territorial quarantines, is within the authority of the central government, not regional administrations. I hope that all ministers ensure that the central and regional governments have the same vision and policy,” he said.The Jokowi administration has been under pressure to impose a lockdown on the capital, which has become the region worst-hit by the COVID-19 outbreak. Indonesia recorded 1,414 cases with 122 deaths as of Monday. Jakarta accounted for 698 cases and 74 deaths. Provincial and city administrations, as well as communities, have begun to take initiatives to close their borders to prevent the spread of the outbreak to their regions. But with Jokowi’s decision, these measures cannot be described as a “lockdown” or “quarantine”, because only the central government has the power impose such measures. While once again dismissing the option of imposing a lockdown on the capital, the government said on Monday that it would instead impose stricter regulations on social distancing coupled with “civil emergency measures”, a move that critics warn could exacerbate the coronavirus crisis. After a virtual Cabinet meeting on Monday, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo instructed his Cabinet to prepare regulations on mass social distancing based on Law No. 6/2018 on Health Quarantine that restricts movement in particular regions.“I ask that large-scale social restrictions and physical distancing policies be enforced more strictly and more effectively, which is why I said they should be coupled with civil-emergency policies,” Jokowi said in a teleconferenced meeting from Bogor Palace, West Java.