Limerick Senator has beef with meat industry RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print Local backlash over Aer Lingus threat Facebook TAGSMinister for Finance Michael NoonanpoliticsRichard Boyd BarrettWealth taxWillie O’Dea TD Enterprise Support Grant should include older self-employed people WhatsApp FINANCE Minister Michael Noonan has ruled out the introduction of a wealth tax, claiming that families with an income of more than €100,000 a year are struggling to make ends meet.Responding to People Before Profit TD Richard Boyd Barrett’s calls to introduce a wealth tax on incomes over €100,000, the Limerick Minister said households with such an income were not wealthy.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Speaking in the Dáil last week Minister Noonan added: “They’re barely getting the kids up in the morning and out to school, paying the bills, paying the mortgage, and keeping the car on the road. And if you think a gross income for a couple at €100,000 is wealth, you’re not meeting the real people.”However, Limerick Fianna Fáil TD Willie O’Dea noted that families earning €100,000 a year are “a hell of a lot more wealthy than families with an income of €20,000, who the Government has hit repeatedly”.He told Limerick Post: “If you take a young person aged 25 or 26, before the payments were cut their total income was about €9,500 a year, now, depending on their age category it’s gone underneath that.“Let’s face it, everything is relative, but people on over €100,000 have suffered a lot less under this Government than people earning a lot less. All independent commentators have said that our budgets are regressive and that they are taking more from the poor than from the wealthy.” Advertisement Linkedin Previous articleWriters on the lookout for Limerick’s oldest ladyNext articleUL working to develop safer structures John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Twitter Email NewsFamilies on €100 000 are “struggling”By John Keogh – July 11, 2014 836 Jenny Blake | #WeAreLimerick episode 46 Restart Grant Plus will help more Limerick businesses to reopen Rape Crisis welcomes publication of O’Malley report
Richard Anthony LaBrie, 76, of Watertown, who long held an affiliation with Harvard Medical School (HMS), died Dec. 31, 2014.LaBrie, a former Cambridge resident, served in several capacities at Harvard, including as deputy director of the National Technical Center for Substance Abuse Needs Assessment at HMS, where he was also an instructor in the School’s Department of Psychiatry.A native of Haverhill, Mass., LaBrie graduated from Lowell State teachers college. He taught at John Greenleaf Whittier Elementary School and later earned an Ed.D. from the Harvard Graduate School of Education.LaBrie was the founder of LaBrie Associates, a medical research consulting firm, which in 1966 created the Drug Intake Management and Evaluation System, Inc. (DIMES). DIMES was a pioneering desktop program that enabled physicians to see potential adverse effects from prescription drug interactions. LaBrie ended his distinguished career as the associate director for data analysis at the Division on Addiction with the Cambridge Health Alliance.LaBrie is survived by his wife of 48 years, Polly Bitzer LaBrie, also of Watertown and formerly of Cambridge; five daughters, Lori Gayle, Elisa LaBrie, Paula Giorgi, Kathleen LaBrie, and Christina LaBrie; his sister Lucille Boucher; a brother-in-law, John Bitzer, and sister-in-law Katrina Woodhouse; and several grandchildren, nieces, and nephews. He was predeceased by his sister Marjorie Blair.In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in LaBrie’s name to the Division on Addiction, Cambridge Health Alliance, 101 Station Landing, Medford, MA 02155. A private memorial will be held later this month.
48 Monmouth St, Morningside has just hit the market. Photo: Supplied A luxe development at Morningside in Brisbane’s east is perfect for buyers seeking both plenty of space and luxury.Each townhouse is over four levels with individual lifts and private rooftops with prime city views. Developer Justin O’Donnell, of JSO Development, said the demographic for this type of dwelling ranged from buyers in their mid 30s, who want the lifestyle, through to retirees who love the idea of their own lift. Before building the six townhouses, Mr O’Donnell purchased the site from Glenda Spranklin, who was the only owner of the property. “She built the house in the late 1940s. The house was in no condition to be kept so demolishing it was the only path forward,” Mr O’Donnell said.“We feel we have done a fantastic job in keeping with the character and style of the local area. “ 48 Monmouth St, Morningside. Photo: Supplied Mr O’Donnell said there were two reasons why he built on the site.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus13 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market13 hours ago“I built the house next door and always chatted with Glenda the neighbour,” he said.“When she decided to go into a nursing home I told her I’d love to build on it. The other reason is that it’s a great spot; only minutes’ walk to cafes, restaurants and one of the last remaining butchers in the entire area.” Mr O’Donnell said: “Each home is huge, but in keeping to the character, we created the Queenslander theme, with different angles to make it feel smaller from the front, so we didn’t ostracise the location.“We didn’t want it to feel like a beast from the front, even though they are very large.“We did the lifts because of the height and the four storeys, to make it easy to access every level.“The interior offers a soft feel. Every level is concrete, so there’s no noise transparency. The soft palate gives it a contemporary, Hamptons-style feel.” Inside 48 Monmouth St, Morningside. Photo: Supplied There’s lots of space to enjoy at 48 Monmouth St, Morningside.The homes are low maintenance, including the use of artificial turf, Mr O’Donnell said.Place Bulimba selling agent Matthew Hackett said one of the many drawcards to the development was that people loved to be able to walk to the nearby park, shops and have public transport options close by. He said it also offered easy access to residents heading to the north and south coasts.
Press Association Swansea manager Michael Laudrup has reiterated his intention to remain at the Liberty Stadium but has urged the club’s board to make quicker progress on transfer targets. The Swans struck their first deal of the summer by signing Real Betis midfielder Jose Canas on a free transfer on Thursday. However, it was made in an atmosphere of unrest with chairman Huw Jenkins and Laudrup disagreeing over the amount of money Swansea are prepared to spend in the summer. The chairman publicly assured his manager “substantial” funds were available but the Dane believes a lack of activity has provided a void for claims of unrest to develop. “I have always said that my intention was, and is, to stay at the club,” he told the South Wales Evening Post. “I think all the speculation regarding my future is due to the fact that there hasn’t been any good news since we played our last game three weeks ago. We all need some good news. “I had hoped for some signings at this stage but I think this is a question to ask to the chairman and the board. “They have all the names of the possible players for our team and all the players, except one, are in Swansea’s level when we talk about transfer and salary. “It is almost three weeks since we played the last game and everyone is looking forward to receiving some news regarding new players. “Instead people can read in different papers and media that there are bigger and bigger problems with me, the chairman, the board, my agent or players who will not join Swansea because they are not sure that I will stay.”
President Donald Trump is waking up triumphant at Mar-a-lago this morning after the Mueller report revealed that there was absolutely no collusion by anyone in the Trump campaign or by any American with the Russian government’s illegal attempt to disrupt the 2016 election.Today is Good Friday, a day commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and it usually rains.Rain is in the forecast for South Florida and threatens to wash out any golf game President Trump might have planned with Jupiter Island’s Tiger Woodswho just won his fifth green jacket at the Masters.Tiger Woods smiles as he wears his green jacket after winning the Masters golf tournament Sunday, April 14, 2019, in Augusta, Ga. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum) It is unclear if Tiger is in town. If not, perhaps Trump will hit the links with six time Master’s winner and friend Jack Nicklaus.President Donald Trump says he’ll award Woods with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, after Woods he won his first Masters victory in 14 years,after a series of back problems and personal problems threatened to end his career. The President and First Lady will be attending Easter services on Sunday morning at Bethesda by the Sea where they were married.
St. Kitts and Nevis track and field stalwart, Kim Collins, has announced his retirement from the sport. Collins, 41, ended his run by pulling out of the 60-metre semi-finals at the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Birmingham, England. The former World 100-metre champion, had, in the morning, finished third in his heat, clocking 6.77 seconds behind eventual World Indoor Champion, the United States’ Christian Coleman, 6.71, and Sweden’s Odain Rose, 6.75. Though the time allowed him into the semis as an automatic qualifier, Collins was a no-show in heat two, where he would have challenged Coleman, 6.45, again. Collins ended his career having notched a gold and four bronze medals at the World Championships, two World Indoor silver medals but may have rued missing an Olympic accolade to go with his long list of achievements.
SuperSport and Serie A have reached an agreement that will see top-tier Italian league football return to the World of Champions from the start of the upcoming 2018-19 season, which begins on 19.Speaking after agreeing on the deal, Gideon Khobane, SuperSport Chief Executive, said, “we’ve always prided ourselves on offering viewers the best football from around the world and the return of Serie A to our screens fulfils our promise of an unrivalled football offering.”Gaetano Miccichè, president of Serie A, was similarly enthused said, “we are very happy with this agreement as it will allow the SuperSport audience to follow all 380 matches of our league.”We are certain that the passionate supporters from Sub-Saharan Africa will appreciate all the stars from Serie A.”Founded in 1898, and contested by 20 teams, the league is regarded as one of the best football leagues in the world and it is often clouted as the most tactical national league. “MultiChoice Ghana is excited to continue bringing customers the best international football. This is part of our ongoing commitment to bring more value to our customers,” says Cecil Sunkwa Mills, General Manager, MultiChoice Ghana.SuperSport will be the only place to watch all 380 Serie A matches. Games will be broadcast on both DStv and GOtv platforms.The 2017/18 season was exciting and uncertain until the end thanks to the epic duel between Juventus and Napoli and is a sign of great things to come.The fight for the remaining UEFA Champions League berth was just as enthralling, the challenge between Lazio and Inter Milan settled only in the final minute of the last day of the campaign with Inter Milan ultimately returning to the elite European club competition.