All articles about 南京桑拿论坛

Publisher of L’Hirondelle imprisoned for six months

first_img CAR policeman who shot reporter must be punished, RSF says News Receive email alerts Organisation RSF_en Six years on, same unanswered questions about French journalist’s death in CAR News Help by sharing this information Publisher of the daily L’Hirondelle Jude Zossé, has been sentenced to six months in prison and fined 200,000 FCFA (305 euros) for “insulting the head of state”.Reporters Without Borders urged the courts to lift the sentence imposed on 12 March and reminded the Central African Republic authorities of their commitments to press freedom.”We had appealed to the prosecutor in Bangui, Firmin Feindiro, not to pass a jail sentence on Zossé. It appears that our appeal was in vain, despite the fact that the journalist was not even the author of the article, which he simply reprinted it from an opposition website,” the international press freedom organisation said. “His sentences is excessive and constitutes a serious attack on press freedom,” the organisation added.”The authorities are playing a double game in this case. On one hand they said they want to work to promote press freedom while on the other hand they lie, as did Feindiro and put journalists in jail. “This is no longer acceptable and we call on President Bozizé to do everything possible to see that journalists can work normally and freely.”The journalist was accused in connection with an article carried in the 23 February edition of the newspaper headlined “General Bozizé, Big State cashier and tax collector”, taken from the website of a bi-weekly opposition newspaper, Centrafrique-Presse. The offending article accused the president of embezzling a large sum from state funds for his personal use, provoking the resignation of several officials at the finance ministry.Following Zossé’s arrest on 23 February 2004, the Bangui prosecutor assured Reporters Without Borders that he would be granted bail before the verdict on 12 March. This was then refused.In 2003, the government contacted Reporters Without Borders to discuss its intention to no longer penalise press offences. Since then, despite reminders from the organisation, the discussion has never been resumed. Follow the news on Central African Republic Central African RepublicAfrica March 12, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Publisher of L’Hirondelle imprisoned for six months Publisher of the daily L’Hirondelle Jude Zossé, has been sentenced to six months in prison and fined 200,000 FCFA for “insulting the head of state”. Reporters Without Borders urged the courts to lift the sentence and reminded the Central African Republic authorities of their commitments to press freedom Central African RepublicAfrica to go further May 13, 2020 Find out more December 13, 2019 Find out more News RSF decries arbitrary blocking of two CAR news websites News April 6, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

UK steps up housebuilding

first_imgHome » News » Housing Market » UK steps up housebuilding previous nextHousing MarketUK steps up housebuildingNew home registrations reached an eight year high in 2015.The Negotiator4th February 20160687 Views The number of new homes registered to be built in the UK increased by 7 per cent year-on-year in 2015, hitting an eight year high of over 156,000, the latest figures from the National House Building Council (NHBC) show.Private sector registrations rose by seven per cent to 118,611 in 2015 compared to 110,674 in 2014 while public sector registration increased by five per cent to 37,529 from 35,685 in 2014.While the 2015 annual total is still well below the 199,177 new build homes registered in 2007, it is 75 per cent higher than the 88,993 new homes registered during in 2009.“2015 was a year for continued housing growth in the UK. Both the public and private sectors have performed well and we have seen encouraging levels of house building across most regions of the country,” said NHBC chief executive Mike Quinton (left).The volume of detached homes registered reached 42,173, the highest for more than a decade. Additionally, the number of semi-detached homes registered in 2015 at 35,423 was the highest in over 20 years.NHBC’s latest figured also revealed that most parts of the UK experienced significant growth year-on-year, led by Northern Ireland, up 30 per cent, albeit, from a relatively low base. This was followed by the East of England which saw a 23 per cent upturn, the North West up 16 per cent and Scotland up by 15 per cent.London continued to lead the way in the number of new home registrations, but the 2015 figure of 25,994 registrations actually represented a 9 per cent fall on the 28,518 new homes recorded in 2014. New home registration in Yorkshire and the Humber and Wales fell by 13 per cent and two per cent year-on-year respectively.The volume of new homes registered remains significantly below the Government target of 200,000 new homes a year, and also represents less than two-thirds of the estimated 250,000 new homes a year needed to meet existing demand for housing in England.“There is still a way to go before we are building the levels of new homes that were seen before the economic downturn, but 2015 represents consolidation on the growth seen over the last three years,” Quinton added.One of the biggest constraints on the housebuilding industry’s ability to meet the new level of demand and deliver further sustained increases in build rates is the planning process, with many developers still finding many of their applications for consent shrouded in red tape and delays.“How quickly we get more sites to the point where we can actually start to lay bricks will be a major influence on future house building levels,” said Stewart Baseley, Executive Chairman of the HBF.Another major problem facing the housebuilding sector as a whole is a shortage of labour, which is pushing up the price of hiring tradesmen.The financial crash of 2007-08 bears some of the blame as it led to thousands of people leaving the construction industry. Now that demand has returned, there is a skills shortage, with bricklayers, carpenters and joiners in short supply.Brian Berry (right), Chief Executive of the FMB, said, “We’re already seeing housing developments starting to stall because the cost of hiring skilled tradespeople is threatening to make some sites simply unviable. Unless we see a massive uplift in apprenticeship training in our industry, there won’t be enough pairs of hands to deliver more housing on this scale.”housebuilding new build homes new homes registered to be built in the UK new homes February 4, 2016The NegotiatorWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img read more

Brandon Belt’s season ‘most likely’ over, surgery probable

first_imgSAN DIEGO–The Giants will travel to St. Louis Thursday for the final road series of the season, but first baseman Brandon Belt won’t be joining the club.Instead, Belt will fly home to San Francisco Wednesday evening to be evaluated by team doctors as another frustrating season comes to a close.A lingering right knee injury has kept Belt off the field for most of the past week and will likely sideline him for the Giants’ final 10 games.Manager Bruce Bochy announced Wednesday Belt’s season is …last_img read more

49ers’ defensive coordinator speaks: Top takeaways from Robert Saleh’s press conference

first_imgSANTA CLARA — Robert Saleh avoids listening to outside buzz and doesn’t own any social media accounts. These rank among his wisest strategies of the year.If he logged on, the 49ers defensive coordinator might hear the increasing clamor surrounding his mistake-prone defense. Saleh spoke bluntly Thursday as the 49ers tried to recover from a blown late lead against the Green Bay Packers in time to face the Los Angeles Rams and their top-ranked offense.The 49ers defense ranks among the league …last_img read more

Top-ranked Rafael Nadal advances to China Open semis

first_imgView comments LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary MOST READ Kvitova defeated Czech countrywoman Barbora Strycova 6-3, 6-4. Kvitova has won the last 24 matches she’s played against fellow Czechs.“We are pretty good friends from the Fed Cups,” she said. “We know each other well. We practice a lot as well. Maybe it’s extra motivation for us to play each other.”Ostapenko beat Sorana Cirstea 6-4, 6-4 in an error-filled quarterfinal. BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Barcelona gives lifetime contract to Andres Iniesta Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  LATEST STORIES Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Read Next Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates after defeating John Isner of the United States during a men’s singles quarterfinal match of the China Open tennis tournament held at the Diamond Court in Beijing, China, Friday, Oct. 6, 2017. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)Top-ranked Rafael Nadal moved into the semifinals of the China Open by beating sixth-seeded John Isner 6-4, 7-6 (0) on Friday.The French Open and U.S. Open champion has won five titles this season and is closing in on the year-end No. 1 ranking.ADVERTISEMENT Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City “We catch a few ones (fish), but not very big,” Nadal said. “But we had some good dinner.”Nick Kyrgios also advanced. The eighth-seeded Australian won when opponent Steve Darcis retired with a neck strain while trailing 6-0, 3-0.Kyrgios will take on second-seeded Alexander Zverev. The German beat Andrey Rublev 6-2, 6-3 and qualified for the season-ending tournament in London.“It’s great for any player to qualify,” said Zverev, who has five titles this season.Second-ranked Halep moved into the women’s semifinal by defeating Daria Kasatkina of Russia 6-2, 6-1.To bump Garbine Muguruza from No. 1, the Romanian needs to reach the final. Halep’s quarterfinal win avenged her straight-sets loss to the 34th-ranked Kasatkina at Wuhan last week.ADVERTISEMENT “I don’t remember a lot of mistakes,” Nadal said. “I went to the net very often. I did the things that I want to do, and I did it well, so very happy.”On the women’s side, unseeded Carolina Garcia of France upset third-seeded Elina Svitolina of Ukraine 6-7 (5), 7-5, 7-6 (6) in almost 3 1/2 hours to line up Petra Kvitova in the semifinals. Simona Halep, on course to becoming the No. 1 player in the world for the first time, faces French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutNadal saved all three break points he faced against Isner. He will next play third-seeded Grigor Dimitrov, who defeated Roberto Bautista Agut 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-2.Dimitrov spent time practicing with Nadal in Mallorca ahead of the hard-court season. The two also went fishing at sea. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF presidentlast_img read more

Somdev dreams of Olympic medal

first_imgA positive approach infuses so much passion into Somdev Devvarman’s rapidly-rising game that on his day he can bring some of the top notch and toughest players on their knees.Somdev, world No.72 and India’s No.1 player, has now set his sights at Olympics next year. He is very optimistic about his prospects and says it is his dream to represent the country in London.”It’s a great honour to represent India in all international event, such as the Olympics. It’s always been a dream to be a part of the contingent that walks into the opening ceremony, along with other athletes of our country.It is just something else,” Somdev told Mail Today.”It seems like there’s a lot of preparations (by other athletes) going on. I think our chances are pretty good. It would be awesome if I’m able to win a medal for the country,” he says.Somdev, 26, recently impressed with his fighting instinct at Indian Wells where he enjoyed a sensational run. He not only defeated world No.24 Marcos Baghdatis, No.45 Xavier Malisse, but also gave a good fight to world No.1 Spaniard Rafael Nadal before losing in the prequarterfinals.With his brave effort against Nadal and Swiss legend Roger Federer in Dubai Open, Somdev left no scope to doubt his abilities.”Before the match against Federer, there was a bit of nervousness and excitement. I was about to play one of the greats of tennis. That feeling carried on for the first few points,” he said.advertisement”After that, however, I got into match mode. I just saw them (Federer and Nadal) as any other opponent standing across the net and I tried to focus on the job at hand, being competitive and playing the best tennis I could possibly play. After both matches, there was obvious disappointment since I lost. But I think I played good matches both times and felt good about the level at which I was playing.”Somdev said he gained a lot from the two matches.”These experiences definitely helped in my subsequent matches. I learned a lot from them. I think I’ve played some really good matches recently.Having said that, I also think there is plenty of room for improvement,” he said.Asked about his chances of breaking into the top 10 in the world rankings, Somdev said that he sets one goal at a time.”If I play up to my potential, and perform consistently, I think the chances are pretty good. You do well on court your ranking goes up; it’s directly co-related.But let’s just take it one step at a time; one goal at a time. Seeing the rise in my rankings definitely makes me feel good,” he replied.”There’s always work to be done, improvements to make, changes to implement. Tennis keeps evolving and you have to evolve as well. I have to work on all aspects of my game. Everything could always be better.”Somdev turned down all suggestions that Indians cannot do well in singles.”Fitness is definitely a factor but it’s not the only reason. At the highest level, even a small flaw can be magnified ten-fold. Hopefully, in the coming years, all our shortcomings will be ironed out and younger players will emerge,” he hoped.The US-based Somdev sounded optimistic about his future in tennis and said that youngsters need to do well at the international level to help make the game more popular in India.”There is interest in the game. It helps if we have courts available for kids to play on, and make them more accessible. But the effects of Leander (Paes) and Mahesh (Bhupathi) doing well on the international stage is being felt now with younger players coming through the system. It’s naturally now left to the next generation of players to continue to do well internationally to keep that interest alive,” he said.Somdev said that tennis does not require new formats as they have like Twenty20 in cricket.”Even the older ODI format was an eight-hour event. With T20, the time span has been reduced greatly to bring in the crowds,” he said.”I think tennis is a very peoplefriendly game as it is. A tennis match normally does not last as long. And the crowds feel more involved simply because they are closer to the action. If the interest is there in the sport the crowds will come.”last_img read more