All articles about 新逍遥游论坛

Covid testing to take place at University of Limerick following rise…

first_imgLimerickNewsCovid testing to take place at University of Limerick following rise in cases among student communityBy David Raleigh – February 9, 2021 550 Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Print Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limerick Linkedin Previous articleA Valentine’s bouquet that hits all the right notesNext article“It’s like someone handed in a purse to gardai and they waited for someone to come and claim it” — Family of ‘missing’ Denis Walsh expresses disappointment over 25-year gap in identifying remains David Raleigh WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads WhatsApp Facebook TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Post center_img Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Twitter Email Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live University you Limerick campus aerialsPhoto: True MediaUNIVERSITY of Limerick (UL) is to facilitate on-campus COVID-19 testing by HSE Mid-West Community Healthcare in a bid to prevent further transmission of the potentially deadly virus among the student population.The move is in response to a rise in cases of COVID-19 in recent weeks in the Castletroy area of Limerick city, believed to be associated with students living in off-campus accommodation.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up UL said it “has a strong relationship with Public Health Mid-West and An Garda Siochana, and consistently liaises and works with them to remind students of their personal responsibility to follow government and institutional guidelines“.In a statement, UL President Professor Kerstin Mey, strongly urged students to understand their roles “in keeping our communities safe and to be aware of the consequences of breaking current government COVID-19 restrictions”.The Department of Public Health Mid-West said it has seen some evidence in recent weeks of an increase in COVID-19 cases among the student population living in the immediate vicinity of the campus – largely based around simple household visits.“In the next few weeks it is crucial that community transmission is suppressed to the maximum to ensure the safe reopening of society and to protect the population while the immunisation programme is being implemented,” the Department stated.“The Department of Public Health is aggressively investigating and managing clusters such as this one to enable this to happen.“UL said it has “moved quickly” to facilitate free on-campus COVID-19 tests to students who will be invited to register without needing to display symptoms of the virus at a testing centre being established on the UL campus this week.“As a result of constant engagement and close ties between UL and Public Health Mid-West we are in a position to act very swiftly now at the first signs of a possible increase of cases among students living off campus,” said Professor Mey.“We have reduced on campus activity to approximately 2% of what would normally take place so there are barely any students or staff on campus under Level 5 restrictions.”“Where we can put any further measure in place to protect our own and the surrounding communities we will do so,” Prof Mey added.Dr Marie Casey, Mid West Public Health Medicine Specialist, said there had been “a noticeable increase in COVID-19 clusters among the student population, particularly in housing estates in the Castletroy area with links to some households in Limerick city, as a result of household transmission in the past three weeks”.“The student population is unique insofar that they can often live with a number of housemates in large households. Some students have part-time jobs, and many will go home on the weekends to visit family and friends,” Dr Casey said.“With the onset of the dominant UK COVID-19 variant, which is more transmissible than the original strain, there is now a high level of risk of transmission in the student community,” she warned.“Because many young people will carry the virus without any symptoms, this presents an increased risk of infection to household, workplace and family contacts. Outbreaks arising out of household transmission is starting to become a worrying trend across the Mid-West, at a crucial time when we need to suppress the virus’ spread in the community.”“We are urging everyone in the region to avoid household visits and social gatherings of any kind, as we have seen far too many times how a single episode of social contact has led to serious illness and death,” added Dr Casey.Students at UL have been repeatedly advised to follow public health guidelines, to download the COVID tracker app and to self-isolate if they display any symptoms while they await a test.UL said that, overall, it has seen a high level of compliance on campus with the COVID-19 precautions it had put in place.Students have been contacted with full details on how to register online for an on-campus test.All tests will be processed by the HSE. Advertisement RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORlast_img read more

Trump warns Americans of a tough two weeks ahead in coronavirus fight

first_imgDr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who said previously that the pandemic could kill between 100,000 and 200,000 people in the United States, said all efforts were being made to make those numbers lower.”We’re doing everything we can,” he said.The federal guidelines, which now are in place through the end of April, include admonitions to avoid discretionary travel, not visit nursing homes, and practice good hygiene.”There’s no magic bullet. There’s no magic vaccine or therapy. It’s just behaviors: Each of our behaviors translating into something that changes the course of this viral pandemic over the next 30 days,” Birx said.Vice President Mike Pence said the mitigation efforts were having an impact. “We have reason to believe that it’s working,” Pence said of the guidelines. “Do not be discouraged.”Trump said he planned to remain at the White House for the most part over the next 30 days.He added the White House was looking at a possible travel ban for Brazil.After the White House earlier discouraged Americans from wearing masks if they were not sick, the president encouraged the practice on Tuesday, but said people should use scarves so as not to divert supplies from healthcare professionals. President Donald Trump warned Americans on Tuesday of a “painful” two weeks ahead in fighting the coronavirus, with a mounting US death toll that could stretch into the hundreds of thousands even with strict social distancing measures.In perhaps his most somber news conference to date about the pandemic, Trump, who has faced criticism for playing down the threat of the outbreak in its initial phases, urged the population to heed guidance to limit groups to no more than 10 people, work from home and not dine in restaurants or bars.”It’s absolutely critical for the American people to follow the guidelines for the next 30 days. It’s a matter of life and death,” Trump said. White House coronavirus coordinator Deborah Birx displayed charts demonstrating data and modeling that showed an enormous jump in deaths to a range of 100,000 to 240,000 people from the virus in the coming months.That figure was predicated on Americans following mitigation efforts. One of Birx’s charts showed as many as 2.2 million people were projected to die without such measures, a statistic that prompted Trump to ditch a plan he articulated last week to get the US economy moving again by Easter on April 12.The president said the next two weeks would be “very, very painful.” The modeling showed the number of deaths across the nation would escalate and peak roughly around mid-April.”We want Americans to be prepared for the hard days that lie ahead,” Trump said, predicting light at the end of the tunnel after that.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Young out for two weeks

first_img Young suffered the problem during Monday’s derby clash with Manchester City and United boss Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed he faces a short spell on the sidelines. “Ashley is out,” he said. “He took a whack on his ankle. He will maybe miss two weeks.” The injury rules Young out of Sunday’s match at Stoke, plus the encounters against West Ham and his former club Aston Villa. Ferguson expects skipper Nemanja Vidic to return to training on Friday after recovering from a calf injury. In addition, Jonny Evans should be available this weekend after recovering from the hamstring strain that has kept him out of the last two games. Ferguson also anticipates veteran midfielder Paul Scholes, who has been out of action since January 26 with a knee injury, will return to training on Monday. “It will be a terrific boost to get his football intelligence back in the squad,” said Ferguson. “He has been out for a few weeks so we need to get him back out training with us.” Meanwhile, Ferguson responded to Roy Hodgson’s fears about international breaks being used as a way of getting players fit by expressing his long-held skepticism of friendly dates. “Look at the opposite side,” he said. “International football interferes with the clubs’ ambitions. Friendly games for a start. They have been doing it for the last decade, playing a friendly in the week before the season starts. Tell me the sense of that.” Manchester United winger Ashley Young has been ruled out for a fortnight with an ankle injury.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Gordon: NBA needs stars in dunk contest

first_imgWhen it comes to criticism, the National Basketball Association is never far from reach.This really isn’t a huge revelation – NBA players have 82 games during the year to boost their stats as much as they can to increase their salary, their fame and their SportsCenter highlight reels.It should be fitting that the NBA All-Star Weekend is a condensed form of the NBA regular season on steroids. The best players from the best teams join forces to see how far into triple digits they can climb on the scoreboard as a super-group (143 points was good enough for the West to take the game this year).If this is what you expect of the All-Star game, it’s a great time. In what other setting can you watch Chris Paul (All-Star game MVP) bounce a behind-the-back pass to three-time NBA scoring champion Kevin Durant for an emphatic dunk? It’s fun to see players from around the league join up to play the year’s biggest game of pick-up basketball where you can see alley-oop slams from players that normally don’t have the guts to pull it off in a meaningful game.NBA All-Star Weekend is supposed to be like any other award show. Like the Grammys or the Oscars, there are even more celebrities off the court than actually participating in the event. And that’s partly what people want to see – it’s fun to see Beyonc? and Jay-Z cuddling in prime seats watching the game like any other fans.However, the stars of the sideline shouldn’t overshadow the athletes on the court. But that’s exactly what happened Saturday night.One of the NBA All-Star Weekend staples is the slam dunk contest. It is by far the most entertaining event of All-Star Saturday and it is the event that propels basketball all-stars to basketball legends.The first slam dunk king was Julius Erving, who is famous for dunking a basketball after leaping from the free throw line 15 feet away from the hoop. It’s no surprise that’s how Dr. J took the inaugural dunk contest back in 1976.But there was no iconic moment from this year’s slam dunk contest – not because the contestants weren’t capable of dunking a ball from 15 feet away from the rim, but because the contestants’ names were barely recognizable.This year’s slam dunk winner was Terrence Ross, back-up Toronto Raptors shooting guard, playing on one of the NBA’s lowest valuated teams. Ross is a rookie who averages just over six points per game, good for 164th best in the league. He is only the 11th-highest scorer on his own team and doesn’t even start for the Raptors.The other contestants weren’t much to write home about either. The five other competitors have combined for exactly zero all-star appearances. You’d be hard-pressed to find one of these players’ names on the back of an NBA jersey in any NBA apparel store.Where are the good old days when Dwight Howard was plastering stickers of himself to the backboard two feet above the rim? What happened to the slam dunk contests in which Blake Griffin was leaping over mid-sized sedans to dunk the ball? These days flew out the window when the NBA decided it was a good idea to put no-name players in the league’s biggest spectacle of the year.Fans looking for some excitement on All-Star Saturday won’t find it when the dunk contest is slated with players who have struggled to earn their way into the starting lineup and have flopped between the NBA and the lowly Developmental League. The average viewer was easily bored watching players with little history on a stage meant for basketball celebrities. Even if Terrence Ross can pull off a through-the-legs dunk while jumping over a small child, I would rather see the likes of Howard, Griffin, LeBron James and the true stars of the NBA show off on All-Star Saturday’s main stage.Like the Grammys, the dunk contest should feature players that have already proven their celebrity status in the NBA. Even if no-name bands have stellar albums in a given year, people want to see and hear the biggest names in music. But this year’s dunk contest was headlined by the small indie-rock bands of the NBA, not its pop stars.The NBA should consider raising the standard of its dunk contest participants when it becomes more interesting to focus on the street-clothed celebs on the sidelines instead of watching second-rate players still trying to make a name for themselves.Lee is a junior majoring in strategic communications. Think that the NBA Slam Dunk Contest is fine the way it is? Let him know at [email protected]last_img read more