LimerickNewsCovid testing to take place at University of Limerick following rise in cases among student communityBy David Raleigh – February 9, 2021 550 Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Print Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limerick Linkedin Previous articleA Valentine’s bouquet that hits all the right notesNext article“It’s like someone handed in a purse to gardai and they waited for someone to come and claim it” — Family of ‘missing’ Denis Walsh expresses disappointment over 25-year gap in identifying remains David Raleigh WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads WhatsApp Facebook TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Post Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Twitter Email Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live University you Limerick campus aerialsPhoto: True MediaUNIVERSITY of Limerick (UL) is to facilitate on-campus COVID-19 testing by HSE Mid-West Community Healthcare in a bid to prevent further transmission of the potentially deadly virus among the student population.The move is in response to a rise in cases of COVID-19 in recent weeks in the Castletroy area of Limerick city, believed to be associated with students living in off-campus accommodation.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up UL said it “has a strong relationship with Public Health Mid-West and An Garda Siochana, and consistently liaises and works with them to remind students of their personal responsibility to follow government and institutional guidelines“.In a statement, UL President Professor Kerstin Mey, strongly urged students to understand their roles “in keeping our communities safe and to be aware of the consequences of breaking current government COVID-19 restrictions”.The Department of Public Health Mid-West said it has seen some evidence in recent weeks of an increase in COVID-19 cases among the student population living in the immediate vicinity of the campus – largely based around simple household visits.“In the next few weeks it is crucial that community transmission is suppressed to the maximum to ensure the safe reopening of society and to protect the population while the immunisation programme is being implemented,” the Department stated.“The Department of Public Health is aggressively investigating and managing clusters such as this one to enable this to happen.“UL said it has “moved quickly” to facilitate free on-campus COVID-19 tests to students who will be invited to register without needing to display symptoms of the virus at a testing centre being established on the UL campus this week.“As a result of constant engagement and close ties between UL and Public Health Mid-West we are in a position to act very swiftly now at the first signs of a possible increase of cases among students living off campus,” said Professor Mey.“We have reduced on campus activity to approximately 2% of what would normally take place so there are barely any students or staff on campus under Level 5 restrictions.”“Where we can put any further measure in place to protect our own and the surrounding communities we will do so,” Prof Mey added.Dr Marie Casey, Mid West Public Health Medicine Specialist, said there had been “a noticeable increase in COVID-19 clusters among the student population, particularly in housing estates in the Castletroy area with links to some households in Limerick city, as a result of household transmission in the past three weeks”.“The student population is unique insofar that they can often live with a number of housemates in large households. Some students have part-time jobs, and many will go home on the weekends to visit family and friends,” Dr Casey said.“With the onset of the dominant UK COVID-19 variant, which is more transmissible than the original strain, there is now a high level of risk of transmission in the student community,” she warned.“Because many young people will carry the virus without any symptoms, this presents an increased risk of infection to household, workplace and family contacts. Outbreaks arising out of household transmission is starting to become a worrying trend across the Mid-West, at a crucial time when we need to suppress the virus’ spread in the community.”“We are urging everyone in the region to avoid household visits and social gatherings of any kind, as we have seen far too many times how a single episode of social contact has led to serious illness and death,” added Dr Casey.Students at UL have been repeatedly advised to follow public health guidelines, to download the COVID tracker app and to self-isolate if they display any symptoms while they await a test.UL said that, overall, it has seen a high level of compliance on campus with the COVID-19 precautions it had put in place.Students have been contacted with full details on how to register online for an on-campus test.All tests will be processed by the HSE. Advertisement RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR
Pinterest Pinterest Facebook Google+ Councillor concerned at Castlederg anti social behaviour By News Highland – March 22, 2010 WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR A Strabane Councillor has described a recent increase in anti social behaviour in and around Castlederg as unacceptable.Derg based Councillor Derek Hussey says that recently there has been a major increase in attacks on businesses premises with windows being smashed and other damaged caused.In some cases the same businesses have been targetted on more than one occasion.Councillor Hussey wants anyone with information to contact police: Google+ Facebook Previous articleAttack on 67 year-old Strabane woman “shocking and sickening”Next articleDonegal IFA meeting to discuss REPS scheme News Highland Twitter Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released News Twitter Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers WhatsApp Dail hears questions over design, funding and operation of Mica redress scheme HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry
By Marian Romero/Diálogo April 05, 2017 With the delivery of 3,000 kilos of high-grade cacao to one of the largest cacao processing plants in the country, communities in Colombia’s Vichada department ratified their decision to replace coca crops with cacao, marking the country’s first successful illegal crop substitution effort. The Colombian Air Force (FAC, per its Spanish acronym), which oversees this initiative, is providing the support needed to transport the harvest from the nation’s jungle area. So far 248 families have switched from growing illegal coca to planting cacao for export. “Drug trafficking is a problem that has always plagued this region. The Combined Joint Task Force ARES was started in this zone in 2012 to fight trafficking and to block criminal and insurgent group activity,” said FAC Colonel Jean Paul Strong, ARES director. “From the beginning, we knew it was essential to give people other options, as 90 percent of residents have devoted themselves to planting coca for a living over several generations, and this was their only source of employment in the area.” Agriculture is a skill deeply rooted in the region, formerly known as the Black Triangle due to the predominance of drug trafficking. FAC and local officials proposed to the community the voluntary replacement of illegal coca and the creation of different incentives for legal crops. Local farmers considered that cacao would be a better alternative, as it is a plant that grows naturally in that soil and climate, the seed can be easily stored for prolonged periods, and it is an agricultural product that is in high demand. They are hopeful that through this change in livelihood, the region will come to be known as the Cacao Triangle. “Here, we all made a living from coca. We came from other villages when ‘scraping’ [harvesting the leaf] was booming in the 90s. Things have changed since then. Crops got scarcer and it has been harder and harder to find work. A lot of people are still doing that work but others of us wanted a change,” said farmer Pedro Tobías, treasurer of the Association of Agricultural Producers of Alto Vichada (PROAGRO, per its Spanish acronym). To close the production cycle, FAC entered into a commercial agreement with a cacao processor and with PROAGRO, which brings together producers from nearby communities in Güérima, Chupave, and Puerto Príncipe. The agreement includes the payment of fair prices in accordance with the commodities exchange, the payment of freight costs, a harvest plan to support the families, and cash advances so farmers can buy the necessary equipment, like trucks. Comprehensive development of Alto Vichada Several meetings were needed for local farmers to arrive at the best crop alternative and come together as partners. “The departmental government of Vichada donated the cacao plants but the advising on best practices for crop cultivation was sporadic, as none of the technicians wanted to stay in the region for longer than a month,” Col. Strong said. “Also, while the cacao was growing, the farmers needed a means of subsistence, so they kept planting coca over the four years that it took to get to their first cocoa harvest.” In view of the development of the cacao crops over time, the willingness of farmers to properly maintain their crops in order to secure a different livelihood and the social milieu in a country seeking peaceful solutions to the armed conflict, the Colombian government will subsidize the second phase of the project. On October 14, 2016, the Comprehensive Development Plan for Alto Vichada was established to promote the coordinated replacement of illegal crops — mainly the replacement of coca with cacao, as well as with other crops. The plan also creates the conditions necessary for viable agricultural economic activity, including improvements to roads, health services, and education, as well as PROAGRO training. This project was the first of its kind to be formalized within the framework of the Final Agreement for the Termination of the Conflict and the Construction of a Stable and Lasting Peace, specifically in terms of Article Four of that plan regarding solutions to the illegal drug problem. This new form of technical and financial support includes the Immediate Assistance Plan, a food assistance and a quick income generation strategy to assist families through the transition to legality. Under this agreement, 183 new hectares (about 452 acres) have been planted and 108,710 cacao plants have been grafted. Producers in charge The plan has two components: cash assistance to prepare the soil for planting, and a short-term production project along with the main crop — agricultural products that can be consumed or commercialized in the region, such as plantain, corn, or rice. The Commander’s Advisory Group (GAC per its Spanish acronym) of the Ministry of Defense is the project coordinator and ensures that government entities and the food processors continue their alliance under the initiative so that the community takes control of this new alternative livelihood. The key to developing a comprehensive effort in the triangle area is “the ongoing partnership with the community to reach an effective repositioning toward legality through voluntary crop replacements,” said Orlando Bustamante, a consultant for GAC Consolidation and Comprehensive Action of Joint Task Force Ares. “One of the main challenges the program faces has been convincing farmers that earning a living legally is a real option. In fact, it’s hard to talk of ‘illegality’ here, because this is a community that has always grown coca. Their trust in this project has grown enormously since the first harvest when the farmers began receiving payments and ongoing support from the government and the FAC to achieve sustainability in this business,” he added. The United Nations (UN) is taking part in the project as an observer to certify that complete substitution is taking place. At the time of the first inspection, 130 hectares had been replaced. Currently, the UN is conducting a second survey to confirm whether the farmers have lived up to the agreement.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Switzerland County, In. — Contractors replacing two bridges for the Indiana Department of Transportation on State Road 56 in Switzerland County will begin operations in mid-September.Milestone, INDOT’s contractor for the $3,695,455 project near Lamb, plans to clear the S.R. 56 Tucker Run site during the second week of September. Once cleared, temporary signals will be installed before actual construction—replacing one-half the bridge at a time—starts on or after October 1. Single-lane traffic flow will be controlled by the temporary signals.The new S.R. 56 Tucker Run bridge will be a 3-span concrete bulb-T structure measuring 200 feet in length with almost 33 feet of clear roadway side-to-side.A second S.R. 56 bridge located less than a mile west of the Tucker Run structure will be removed and replaced after the first of the year. The S.R. 56 Green Valley Creek bridge is a single-span I-beam structure measuring 68 feet in length and 30 feet side-to-side. Clearing should begin this October, followed by utility relocations. Actual construction activities are slated to start in January.Approximately 1000 feet of new pavement will be put in place to realign S.R. 56 north of the current Green Valley Creek structure. This will allow continuous free-flow traffic at the site until pavement tie-ins occur. At that time, a 14-day closure will be imposed to complete the connection.S.R. 56’s traffic count is 2,257 vehicles per day.